Sunday 22 August 2010

Born Free

Whenever I hear Matt Monro singing 'Born Free', I'm taken right back to 1966 and our holiday at the Sandycroft Leave Centre. The Leave Centre had its own cinema and I remember Alan taking me there on one sunny day to see the film. The place was full of kids, all excited and jumping about. I was only about 5 at the time. Before the main film there were several cartoons including Road Runner and Bugs Bunny. I think that someone served ice lollies and drinks before the cinema quietened down and the main film came on. Nowadays, I can't imagine that I'd spent a warm sunny day inside watching a film when there was so much to see and do outside. I remember enjoying the film and can't really remember much about what happened but Alan said that I was upset and cried when the lion died at the end! Mum and dad met us when we came out at about 3pm and I think we went to the nearby cafe. I think they spent the couple of hours, while we were watching the film, meeting up with friends at the centre. At only 5 years old, I still believed that I could come across tigers and lions while we were exploring the nearby estates at Jalan Wijaya. There probably were tigers in the jungle a bit further on but watching programmes like Daktari made me think that they were just around the corner! We saw many other films at the cinema in Sandycroft but Born Free is the one that really stays in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Matt Monro. He was one of the many British performers who fuel our interest in English pop. I remember somewhere in the 60's, my eldest brother bought a second hand tape recorder - you know the type that has two reels of tape. The seller gave up a tape of Matt Monro song and we listened to it over and over again. Off hand I can still reel off several of his big hits from that era; Walk Away, Exodus, Portrait of My Love, From Russia With Love. Born Free was also one of my favourites; but I think it came a bit later.

    ReplyDelete