Sunday 14 February 2010

More Jalan Wijaya

A few weeks ago, I heard from Tracey Jamieson who said that she was enjoying my blog and that my tales of our days in Singapore and Malaya were strangely similar to her memories. By sheer coincidence it turned out that she lived at 97 Jalan Wijaya at the same time that we lived at 103 Jalan Wijaya. That meant that she was only three houses away from us (the house numbers went up in twos). We didn't remember each other but I sent her a photo of my 4th birthday party and Tracey was on the left of the picture! Tracey was visiting her mother so sorted through her photo album and sent me some pictures. One of her dad, Jack Latimer, and friends was taken right outside our front door. Others showed the street and nearby houses. It was lovely to see the photos which reminded me of my childhood spent there and also jogged my memory of parts of the area that I'd long forgotten 

 
about. It seemed a huge coincidence that we both lived in the same street at exactly the same time. I asked my parents if they remembered Tracey's parents but they could only remember our immediate neighbours and Tracey's next door neighbour, Harry Smith. I do, however, have a vague memory of going to school and a blonde haired girl living further down the street and I think that this must have been Tracey. I was only about 5 at the time!

The colour photo on the right shows Tracey's house at 97 Jalan Wijaya. Isn't it amazing how the internet manages to put so many people, with similar memories and interests, in touch with each other? I've just started up a Facebook page called, you've guessed it, 'Sampans, Banyans and Rambutans' where I hope people will add their own photos and reminisces. If you want to check it out it's at Sampans, Banyans and Rambutans (Facebook)

3 comments:

  1. The houses have changed colour. Basically still the same. You can Google the estate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, Derek. Your initiative to contact every families in the Jalan Wijaya neighbourhood and connecting with Facebook with trace of sampans, banyans, rambutans, even durians and so many more happier memories to share us in your books. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James.
    It's amazing that I've searched for more photos of Jalan Wijaya for so long and now I'm lucky to be sent all these. The photos certainly bring back very happy memories for me as does the lovely book you sent me. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog, lot's more to come. Best wishes,
    Derek.

    ReplyDelete