Sunday 16 May 2010

Hair


Being Forces kids, we all had quite short hair but with it being the 1960s, many people decided that they wanted to grow their hair. However, this was frowned upon by the Singapore government. The picture shows a sign that was displayed at many public buildings until at least the 1970s. It states that, 'Males with long hair will be attended to last' and by long hair, they meant hair falling across the forehead and touching the eyebrows, hair covering the ears or hair reaching below an ordinary shirt collar. I don't remember seeing any men with long hair when we were there and everyone all looked pretty tidy. Perhaps the attraction for long hair took place after we left in 1968.
An article in a Singapore newspaper on the 8th December, 1969 read:
No to 'Beatle' haircuts for civil servants.
The Government warned its employees that it would not tolerate unkempt Beatles mop-top haircuts or 'flashy' clothing during office hours.
A circular sent out to all government servants said : 'Disciplinary action will be taken against those who fail to comply with the order'. The new rule was necessary in keeping with Singapore's efforts to improve its standards of 'cleanliness, hygene and appearance'.
The rule never affected me and I must have been behind the times because I didn't grow my hair until at least 1972!
It's funny how these things stay in your mind though and when I visited Singapore in 1990, after backpacking around Australia for 6 months, I made sure that I had a haircut before we got there. Of course, times had changed and things had moved on and I don't think they were bothered if I'd had a haircut or not!

2 comments:

  1. The posters always leapt out at you as you entered a government office, or the entrances to some of the public facilities such as the public swimming pools. Male foreigners with long hair were actually turned back at the immigration checkpoints and I remember that the barbershop on the Malaysian side of the causeway did a roaring trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Children's Cancer Foundation Hair for Hope" to shave heads could overcome the long hair ban in Singapore in those days.

    ReplyDelete